Wednesday 13 June 2007

200 Pounds Beauty

Was feeling a bit down yesterday night......my brush with my own private psychic vampire wasn't enough to cheer me up....so escapism it is!......decided to catch a movie...not being able to watch the big summer movies like Ocean's Thirteen or Shrek the Third......I decided to watch 200 Pounds Beauty the lastest Korean rom-com that's suppose to have knocked off infamous Korean romcom My Sassy Girl from top earner position......

I have to give Korean's props for one thing.......thier romcoms are definitely therapeutic....I laughed, balked, sobbed and bawled during the show...and walked out of the movie feeling.......calm, collective and pensive.....with a strange urge to listen to calming music...t'was a shame my mobile had run out of battery or I'd have just sent out an sms requesting Sulfian Stevens from my own private psychic vampire...

But anyways....on to the movie reveiw!

The storyline is nothing new.....fat girl falls in love with handsome skinny guy and loses weight...kind of for him...but I'm not too sure......coz that's the iffy part.....parts of the story were a bit of.....leaps of faith...be it a failing in the translation or just plain slight under par screenwriting....I'm a stickler for a good story....the story takes some of your usual cliches and plays to them....naturally enough, coz I mean why mess with something that works? When a critic said it was a cross between Music and Lyric and Love on a Diet , they weren't joking......but of course it's got that Korean twist to it.....the ending...is rather...true to life in a way...in no ways idyllic fairy tale ending but not absolutely improbable.........certain aspects don't really make sense....to me...like why exactly is she doing the whole make-over thing...what is the objective of her actually changing her life around? why did she have to even claim she all 'all-natural'..and did she really even want to be a singer again??!....but the production values, images and those tearjerker moments.....just seem to gloss all these points over...the movie does what it's suppose to....it sucks you in and makes you feel for Hana...and you just willing get pulled along for the rather enjoyable ride.....

It's one of those movies that gives you hope......with a realistic ending.....girl doesn't necessarily always end up with the guys......but it's still got enough ambiguity to make you think that it still might happen..or not......ambiguity, I like.......in a way...the movie's soul food....and it just goes to show that Korean in definitely the King of RomComs......so I'l really looking forward to I'm a Cyborg, But That's Okay.....Park Chan-Wook's if I'm not mistaken, first endeavour at a romcom....I mean come one.....Park is the dude that brought you such films like Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance...not that I've seen these movies....but come on....from violence to romcom....now that's one worth watching! Screw Rain.......watch it for Park Chan-Wook man!

0 hit backs:

 
Header Image by Colorpiano Illustration